Friday, March 21, 2008

First Haircut


I finally took Ellie to get her hair cut, or should I say get her mullet cut off. Granted the sides had grown out a fair amount already, so the mullet wasn't that extreme, but she was definitely in need of cut. We had tried once before to have it cut, but she was crabby having been woken up from a nap, so that attempt failed miserably.

This time I tried a new approach and took her to a children's salon, The Hairy Elephant. It is a great place for kids' haircuts. Each station has a car, truck, airplane, etc for the child to sit in, rather than the standard old salon chair. There is also a TV and DVD player at each station, with a variety of DVD's to choose from. Ellie picked out a Dora video, and we were on our way. It was also a little easier on the moms, knowing that this place was used to kids who on occassion don't want a haircut and may throw a fit. Fortunately, Ellie sat quietly and stayed occupied, so the cut went smoothly.

I suppose I may have been a bad mother though, because I didn't keep a lock of her hair from the haircut. They offered it to me, but I turned it down. I just kept thinking, "What am I going to do with a baggie of her hair trimmings? Do I have to keep it in a special box (which I don't have), and pull it out in a few years to reminisce about the haircut?" I'd much rather just look at pictures of her before and after the cut. And I have to admit that it's a pretty darn cute cut.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

And her hair cut looks even cuter in person!

I agree with you regarding keeping the locks of hair. I did keep some of Ross' hair. I put it in his baby scrapbook. He thinks it's pretty cool. I also kept some of Elizabeth's, but it still sits in an envelope. Everytime I come across it I think, "What should I do with this?"

So, no - you are not a bad mother. Just a practicle one!