Friday, January 15, 2010

I'm Sick of This

Ellie has a sweet personality. She's funny, kind-hearted, and good to her baby brother. She's also 3-years-old, which means she may not always behave as we would like her to. She is also still learning new phrases and trying to understand their meaning. One particular evening, she was being rather naughty and testing our limits. She was in time-out a number of times during the course of the evening. It was bedtime, and she had just done something to land her in time-out again. Everyone was tired, and I was not as patient as I maybe should have been. As I passed her to take Max up to bed, I said to her, "Ellie, you have got to start listening better. I'm sick of this."

After her sentence in time-out was complete, Jason took her up to bed. He read her a story, then as she was falling asleep, she said to him, "Dad, is Mom getting sick from me being bad?" Jason sleepily answered her that "no" that is not what I meant, but he didn't elaborate too much. A couple seconds passed then Ellie said, "Dad, I think I'm getting a fever from being in time-out so much." It's a good thing the lights were off in her room, so she couldn't see Jason stifling his laugh.

No comments: