Sunday, October 17, 2010

Old Iron Works Days 2010

We went to Meramac Springs last weekend for the annual Old Iron Works days.  We try to go every year, but weren't able to make it last year, so this was Max's first time.  Jason was on his guys' golf weekend trip, so the kids and I met up with Popi and Aunt Laura and Ella to spend the day.

We walked along the path at the fish hatchery.  Isn't this a beautiful shot?  The trees were just starting to turn, and it was a beautiful, warm, fall day.



The kids had a ball playing on the old playground equipment.  I don't think these types of toys are even produced anymore, and probably for good reason.  I'm not one of those parents that is too protective of my children and restricts them from playing and climbing on toys that are meant for children.  But I was still a little anxious while they played on some of these things.  I mean, come on, check out the flying-saucer-type-spinning thing pictured below.  I'm sure many a child has flown off of this thing and has the broken bones to prove it.  But regardless of the danger, the kids loved it.




We arrived a little too early for some of the activities and booths to open, so we walked around for a while.  The booths are mostly demonstration booths of some past art, such as basket weaving, rope making, blacksmithing, etc.  When I was ready to move on to something else, I'd say, "Let's go find a new activity."  Miss Ellie began to catch on and so she told me, "Mom, I like the kinds of activities that we get to do something.  Not just the activities that we have to watch."

So we found her an activity where she could do something - sawing wood.  Ellie and Popi each took an end of the band saw and went to work.  We have pictures of my dad with me and my siblings doing this exact same thing when we weren't much older than Ellie, so this was a neat "activity" to get a picture of Ellie and Popi doing together.  And E was very proud of her slice of wood.